Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2013

West End début

I made my West End début last Friday at the Seven Dials Club in Covent Garden, London. Performed two poems - Not Waving But Drowning by Stevie Smith - and this one by my own hand:


West End début

“Is there anybody there?” said the traveller,
I came up here on the tube,
I've been trying to think of a rhyme,
And Alex has warned me not to be too rude,

Oh fff.., oh shhh..., oh bother,
I have a confession to make,
Sans expletives I've nothing to entertain you,
Your sides I simply cannot make ache,

This is my West End debut,
But of material I find I'm quite short,
I'm on verse three at the moment,
And that's surely three longer than I ought,

I will not detain you any longer,
I know you're all here for singing and fun,
I hope you don't feel it's been time wasted,
That's it, time's up, I'm done.

© Martin Wiesner 2013


Also heard that night was the wonderful a capella singer Nicolette Corcoran.

No comments: